What will it cost to host the Games?
It’s critical to separate the public investment ($3.0 billion) from the operating costs of the Games ($2.4 billion), and those numbers should not be added because there is some overlap.
The $3.0 billion in public investment will: refurbish legacy sport facilities; build two new sport and recreation facilities; fund new housing in Calgary and Canmore; provide security and other essential services; and contribute to operating the Paralympic Winter Games for the first time in Calgary. That number also includes generous contingencies and legacy funding for facility operations and programming after the Games.
The $2.4 billion cost of operating the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games will be 91 per cent privately funded through revenue from the IOC, domestic sponsorship and ticket sales. The remaining 9 per cent ($218 million) is a contribution to the Paralympic Games, ensuring that the Paralympics are an aligned and inclusive event.
Calgary has among the lowest stocks of affordable and social housing in Canada and Canmore faces similar housing challenges.